Tuesday 18 February 2014

Quote of the Week - Dalai Lama





Kindness is a virtue people seem to lack nowadays. Everyday you see in the news that someone has killed/hit/robbed/taken/hurt someone for an absurd reason. The act of evil I saw today in the news was about a man beheading his girlfriends disabled son whilst she was out. He seems to feel no remorse for his actions and no doubt will get a sentence to small for the crime he committed. Why is it that nowadays people seem to be less kind? I know a lot of it is to do with the media and how they thrive on bad stories even though there are plenty of heart felt good deeds out there. But I do feel it is getting worse, unkindness that is.

I have always been brought up to be kind and respectful to everyone and even if I hadn't, I think I still would have developed the caring nature I have today. Being nasty just feels... well... wrong! What would I gain from being nasty? I mean, I know I probably have hurt people in the past, and I'm sure on some occasions I probably knew what I was doing but on the whole I'd like to think I am a kind person.

This quote, along with most other Dalai Lama quotes, sums up my thinking entirely. The Dalai Lama seems to be a very happy, kind man. If being kind has anything to do with this holistic happiness then surely it is hard to argue against.

But is it really that easy to be kind? There are times where maybe being kind is the unkind thing to do. For example, if a friend is really upset about a breakup but it has been going on for far to long and is starting to have a permanant negative impact on her life then surely a stern (and to her 'unkind') word is whats needed for her to get back on track and start living her life again. But it is possible to just be kind. Which would you choose?

I think for me 'being kind whenever possible' is a definite. 'Always being kind' is something I will continue to strive for and fall from. But I am OK with that.

Pippa

No comments:

Post a Comment